30 March 2020

08.LetMyPeopleGo – Oh To Be In Tokyo, Now That April’s (Almost) There!


My title’s end borrows from British Robert Browning’s beloved poem “Oh, To Be In England,” although I love more his wife Elizabeth Barrett Browning’s verse, “How Do I Love Thee?” Still, this essay is about love, as you will see.

The link shared on Facebook by Arlene Escalante (above image) is “to PHSeniors Fighting Covid-19.” So I am a Manila senior, thank God! I am reading the thoughts of an Indian student (name not shared) in Japan. I will now begin quoting (selected, with editing):

I am (continuously) thinking (that because) Japan was the first country to be impacted by (the) coronavirus from China because of the luxury ship Diamond Princess from China in January, by now it would have gone to stage 4 like European countries…

But in Japan everything (has been) normal till today. We (are) going to offices daily, we are going to all essential services. No restaurants are closed. No malls are closed. No lockdown. Metro trains moving normally. Bullet trains moving normally. All International borders are open.

The Japanese know some things we don’t! The lockdown neither solves the problem of the virus spreading nor increases the survival rate of patients infected.

Japan has (a) high percentage of old people like Italy. Tokyo has (the) highest number of foreigners living. Tokyo is one of the best tourist (attractions) with a lot of foreigners. Foreigners are still allowed inside.

They say that old people are more vulnerable to the virus. I am 79, and so my family has locked me down at home in the last 20 days. (I am one of the lucky ones, because you cannot lockdown a very creative writer with a WiFi connection!)

Not the illegal ones, of course, but in Manila we should continue to welcome foreigners.

Tokyo, the most dense city in the world, proves that lockdowns are kneejerk reactions to an epidemic, medical and political.

Even so, Indian Anonymous has a list of Japanese social behaviors ingrained among the Japanese people that naturally prevent any unwanted spread of disease:

(1)  The Japanese wear masks, about 60% daily on normal days.
(2)  “Cleanliness is part of the (Japanese) culture.”
(3)  “They (don’t) do handshake(s) but bow to greet (people).
(4)  “Here, washing hands (everywhere) is a part of culture.”
(5)  In restrooms, people clean and wipe the sink area after them.
(6)  “They carry wet tissue packets to clean their hands occasionally when they go out.”
(7)  “They usually maintain social distance with (everyone).”

You will notice that I have been writing a series of essays all prefaced with the same pre-title as in this case, “08.LetMyPeopleGo” – I believe the lockdown is a mistake and should be lifted.

Why did I show my editing in parentheses? So you will appreciate reading even with minor interruptions – just like living in a free, Covid-19-visited country like the Philippines. American patriot Patrick Henry said, “Give me liberty, or give me death!”

With Elizabeth, I differ to say to Freedom:
“How do I love thee? Let me count the wise!”@
517

No comments:

Post a Comment

Double The Aggie Budget, Leni Robredo Promises. What About PH Visionary Leadership?

Will doubling the 2021 budget for 2022 be good for PH Agriculture? Good, but not good enough! I am reading Mara Cepeda ’s Rappler news re...